From: sharedapexloop@groups.io <sharedapexloop@groups.io> On Behalf Of RIchard Thorne
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2020 6:48 PM
To: sharedapexloop@groups.io
Subject: [sharedapexloop] How To Ground Mount a SAL30

I have a SAL30 on order and secured permission from the neighbor to use their empty lot for the antenna. This will give me plenty of separation from any and all objects.

I've read the manual a few times and I'm not sure I understand how the base is mounted on the ground. It looks like there is a PVC base assembly of some sort. How is the pvc secured so it won't move, are large spikes used?

If anyone has a picture of the pvc base in use that would be very helpful. I'm trying to have all the required parts (that are not already included in the antenna kit) on hand prior to delivery.

Thanks in advance.

Rich - N5ZC

Chuck Dietz

The PVC piece that comes with the older versions just sits on the ground under the vertical piece. The elements are guyed tightly which keeps the base in place.

Chuck W5PR

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 3:10 AM wa5puq <jlangdon1@...> wrote:
Rich,

Mine is mounted on wooden poles.  I took the bottom mast section with me and found 2 PVC plumbing pieces at the Home Depot which worked for the base. The vertical piece is a "cleanout drain' with an upper part that slips just inside the mast, and then screws into the "cap' which is attached to the top of the post.

73 John N5CQ

I have a SAL30 on order and secured permission from the neighbor to use their empty lot for the antenna.  This will give me plenty of separation from any and all objects.

I've read the manual a few times and I'm not sure I understand how the base is mounted on the ground.  It looks like there is a PVC base assembly of some sort.  How is the pvc secured so it won't move, are large spikes used?

If anyone has a picture of the pvc base in use that would be very helpful.  I'm trying to have all the required parts (that are not already included in the antenna kit) on hand prior to delivery.

Thanks in advance.

Rich - N5ZC

Donald Lafreniere

I just recently installed a SAL20.  Here is what I did for the install.  I raised mine off the ground ~7 feet because we get over 300 inches of snow a year here and I didn't want the antenna sitting in the snow.

I used a piece of aluminum army surplus mast, concreted in the ground.  Then a 4 foot piece of fiberglass army surplus mast that the aluminum SAL20 mast bolts into.  See pics.

Don- W8PSP

Bob Elek

My 5 yr old SAL 30 came with a  fiberglass 1.5" x 4 ft section and a small  stake.  Drove the sake in and set the  mast on top of it.  The weight of the antenna plus the  eight guys keep it in place.  Solidly.

Many folks have trouble with deer and other animals  running into the horizontal wire and pulling the antenna down.  Ive been lucky so far but have often thought about adding a second  4' mast  to lift the  horizontal wires up to about 8 ft.

There reportedly is no difference in antenna  performance at 4 cft or 8 ft height above ground.

I just recently installed a SAL20.  Here is what I did for the install.  I raised mine off the ground ~7 feet because we get over 300 inches of snow a year here and I didn't want the antenna sitting in the snow.

I used a piece of aluminum army surplus mast, concreted in the ground.  Then a 4 foot piece of fiberglass army surplus mast that the aluminum SAL20 mast bolts into.  See pics.

Don- W8PSP

Jay

Here is a good idea raised instal idea.  Hope the pictures come through.

Jay Terleski
Array Solutions
214 954 7140

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 6:47 PM RIchard Thorne <rthorne@...> wrote:
I have a SAL30 on order and secured permission from the neighbor to use
their empty lot for the antenna.  This will give me plenty of separation
from any and all objects.

I've read the manual a few times and I'm not sure I understand how the
base is mounted on the ground.  It looks like there is a PVC base
assembly of some sort.  How is the pvc secured so it won't move, are
large spikes used?

If anyone has a picture of the pvc base in use that would be very
helpful.  I'm trying to have all the required parts (that are not
already included in the antenna kit) on hand prior to delivery.

Thanks in advance.

Rich - N5ZC

NC3Z

I did something very similar. Not too difficult to do.

--
Gary Mitchelson
NC3Z/4 Pamlico County, NC FM15