Is a shared apex loop much better than a K9AY?

maraudermarv <mhaagsma@...>

I have a K9AY in my suburban backyard, and I can't squeeze in a shared apex loop without removing it. 
Can anyone tell me if a Shared Apex Loop will be substantially better than a K9AY (which I like!) ?

Craig Clark

I would opine if you like what you have and it is meeting your needs, stick with the K9AY.

There is no magic antenna. That said, having options for RX helps. K3LR stated you can never have enough RX antennas.

I loved my Beverages but I have 25 acres to play with. However, the maintenance of the Beverages from storm, Moose, Deer and human damage took a lot of time. I went to the Hi-Z four square about five years ago and have never looked back.

Good luck

Craig

Craig Clark K1QX

PO Box 209

107 Fitzgerald Rd

Rindge NH 03461

(603) 899-6103 office

(603) 520 6577 cell

From: sharedapexloop@groups.io [mailto:sharedapexloop@groups.io] On Behalf Of maraudermarv
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2020 10:48 PM
To: sharedapexloop@groups.io
Subject: [sharedapexloop] Is a shared apex loop much better than a K9AY?

I have a K9AY in my suburban backyard, and I can't squeeze in a shared apex loop without removing it. 
Can anyone tell me if a Shared Apex Loop will be substantially better than a K9AY (which I like!) ?

Richard Williams

I can't speak specifically about the K9AY loop compared to a SAL; but I am fortunate enough to have a bit of room on my property for antennas, and have a SAL30, HI-Z 8 and 4 reversible Beverages.  I can immediately switch between all three (and the two phased verticals).  What I have found is no one antenna is better all the time.  Sometimes, the verticals are the best, other times one of the three receive antennas is best, and sometimes I find Diverse Receive using the verticals on one receiver, and a Beverage on the other is the answer.

So, my opinion is there is no one "best" antenna; one can never have enough different types of receive antennas.

DIck, K8ZTT

Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man.
What is first, you ask? Landing, of course.

On Thursday, March 5, 2020, 08:37:28 AM MST, maraudermarv <mhaagsma@...> wrote:

Regin

The SAL-30 is better, i have both.

wa5puq

I believe the K9AY works best over an area of high ground conductivity, while the SAL30 is relatively independent of it, so that may be a factor in choosing.

In my case, the SAL30 replaced 2 reversible 580' beverages up about 8' off the ground. SAL30 is better 90% of the time. If I had room for a beverage twice as long, it might be better on 160. The SAL30 up on poles has had less maintenance issues overall than the beverages. YMMV.

73 John N5CQ

-----Original Message-----
From: sharedapexloop@groups.io <sharedapexloop@groups.io> On Behalf Of OY1R
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [sharedapexloop] Is a shared apex loop much better than a K9AY?

Bob Elek

Put up a 300 ft bidirectional Bev for one season.   The SAL30 was better  or equal to it in nearly all cases.  Maybe 2-3 times the Bev had an edge. 

-----------------------------------------

Cc:
Sent: Thursday March 5 2020 8:14:12PM
Subject: Re: [sharedapexloop] Is a shared apex loop much better than a K9AY?