Lightning Protection for the SAL

wb4ydy2

Hello all, I am new to the group and considering a SAL-20. I've built and installed a lot of antennas in almost 50 years as a ham, but never a true RX only antenna. All of my antennas currently run through grounded ICE protectors before entering the house/shack, and then through manual antenna switches inside the shack to various rigs or to ground.

The SAL manual clearly states to NOT insert any device in the RG6 between the combiner and the controller. I imagine this is due to the control voltage sent via the coax. I don't see any mention in the manual of how to best deal with lightning protection with this antenna. How is this done other than disconnecting the coax in the shack? Can the SAL-20 RG6 be run through a manual switch to ground when not in use?

Thanks & 73,
Pete, WB4YDY

wa2tp <wa2tp@...>

Presumably you would need to use a device that passes dc, like the alpha delta TT3G50.
I use this on a wellbrook active loop which use bias-t to power the amplifier at the loop.

Up until December of last year I was using the ICE arrestors on my other antennas.
I had noticed that through the arrestor my return loss on my inverter L dropped by roughly 12db compared to when  the arrestor was bypassed.
I swept the arrestor from 10khz-3.8 MHz and was very surprised at the loss all the up to 1.820Mhz.

I have been using the inverted L for WSPR rx since June of late year. Was never able to decode much on 630, and never any decodes on 2200. Once I removed the arrestors I decode on both bands consistently.

My spots count has me ranked at #1or #2 in the US And generally top 10 in the world.

73’
De WA2TP
Tom

Tom
WA2TP

From: sharedapexloop@groups.io <sharedapexloop@groups.io> on behalf of wb4ydy2 <petef@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 9:43:23 AM
To: sharedapexloop@groups.io <sharedapexloop@groups.io>
Subject: [sharedapexloop] Lightning Protection for the SAL

Hello all, I am new to the group and considering a SAL-20. I've built and installed a lot of antennas in almost 50 years as a ham, but never a true RX only antenna. All of my antennas currently run through grounded ICE protectors before entering the house/shack, and then through manual antenna switches inside the shack to various rigs or to ground.

The SAL manual clearly states to NOT insert any device in the RG6 between the combiner and the controller. I imagine this is due to the control voltage sent via the coax. I don't see any mention in the manual of how to best deal with lightning protection with this antenna. How is this done other than disconnecting the coax in the shack? Can the SAL-20 RG6 be run through a manual switch to ground when not in use?

Thanks & 73,
Pete, WB4YDY

wb4ydy2

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response and for the info. It looks like the DX Engineering DXE-RLP-75FF lightning surge protector will do the trick for just $15.99. Their website doesn't have a spec sheet, but the description says it passes DC and "is compatible with network-powered applications". Since this would be a RX only application, I don't see why it would need a heavy duty protector, as long as it does the job. Someone please let me know if I'm wrong on this.

If I decide to go this route, the SAL-20 would be located just inside a wooded area at the back of my yard. It would require the RG6 coax to be buried for about 165 ft. I would run the coax underground through PVC pipe. My thought is to keep the RX antenna and surge protector ground isolated from my other antennas, as much as possible. With that in mind, I am considering installing the surge protector and ground rod at the antenna before the RG6 enters the long underground run to the shack. Then run the RG6 coax through a manual antenna switch inside the shack to switch the SAL to the rig or to the station ground when not in use. Of course, the ground portion of the switch would tie the RG6 shield to the station ground at all times.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan? Is there a "good" 2-position (?) antenna switch available with F-connectors? Other ideas?

Pete, WB4YDY

wa5puq

I would ground the outer conductor at the antenna end and put the protector just at the entrance to the shack, hopefully with a perimeter ground that all the equipment is bonded to. Watch out for cheap ‘barrel’ F connectors  - they have accounted for all the problems I have had with my SAL30 DC voltage.

73 John N5CQ

From: sharedapexloop@groups.io <sharedapexloop@groups.io> On Behalf Of wb4ydy2
Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 11:32 AM
To: sharedapexloop@groups.io
Subject: Re: [sharedapexloop] Lightning Protection for the SAL

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response and for the info. It looks like the DX Engineering DXE-RLP-75FF lightning surge protector will do the trick for just $15.99. Their website doesn't have a spec sheet, but the description says it passes DC and "is compatible with network-powered applications". Since this would be a RX only application, I don't see why it would need a heavy duty protector, as long as it does the job. Someone please let me know if I'm wrong on this.

If I decide to go this route, the SAL-20 would be located just inside a wooded area at the back of my yard. It would require the RG6 coax to be buried for about 165 ft. I would run the coax underground through PVC pipe. My thought is to keep the RX antenna and surge protector ground isolated from my other antennas, as much as possible. With that in mind, I am considering installing the surge protector and ground rod at the antenna before the RG6 enters the long underground run to the shack. Then run the RG6 coax through a manual antenna switch inside the shack to switch the SAL to the rig or to the station ground when not in use. Of course, the ground portion of the switch would tie the RG6 shield to the station ground at all times.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan? Is there a "good" 2-position (?) antenna switch available with F-connectors? Other ideas?

Pete, WB4YDY

wb4ydy2

Hi John,

So, you have no problem connecting your RX antenna coax shield to the station ground. Is there a good quality F-connector grounding block you use at the SAL antenna?
How do you handle the RG6 once in the shack? Do you switch it to ground somehow when not in use?
Which F-connector do you use/recommend?

Pete, WB4YDY

wa5puq

I use a copper entrance panel and everything is bonded to it. The protector is mounted to the panel just inside the feed through hole.  The “TV class” F connectors from Home Depot etc. have corroded frequently, even when wrapped  The DXE ‘watertight F connectors” have worked fine.  I tried several ‘ham fest’ unbranded F grounding blocks and discarded the ones that corroded, hopefully before the contamination invaded the cables themselves.  The ones with the ‘golden anodizing’ (see picture with black goo in the center) were the worst. Symptoms are loss of signal and or not responding to switching directions at the shack controller.  Overall I am very happy with the electrical performance of the SAL-30 and no longer use any beverages.  I operate a remote station, so nothing is disconnected or grounded even when storms approach.

73 John N5CQ

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 12:03 PM

Hi John,

So, you have no problem connecting your RX antenna coax shield to the station ground. Is there a good quality F-connector grounding block you use at the SAL antenna?
How do you handle the RG6 once in the shack? Do you switch it to ground somehow when not in use?

Pete, WB4YDY

wb4ydy2

John,
Thanks very much for your time and information. All you say makes sense and I'm beginning to get my mind around this now. After receiving your last post I have done some internet searching for F-connector grounding blocks and A/B F-connector manual switches. I have found a number of choices for both items that may work for my installation.

Now, I just have to figure out the easiest and least expensive way to dig the 165' x 1' deep trench. I did a 75 foot long trench for a remotely tuned horizontal loop by hand a few years ago. Don't think I will try that this time :-)

Thanks guys for all of the help and ideas!

Pete, WB4YDY

On 1/4/2021 2:21 PM, wa5puq wrote:

I use a copper entrance panel and everything is bonded to it. The protector is mounted to the panel just inside the feed through hole.  The “TV class” F connectors from Home Depot etc. have corroded frequently, even when wrapped  The DXE ‘watertight F connectors” have worked fine.  I tried several ‘ham fest’ unbranded F grounding blocks and discarded the ones that corroded, hopefully before the contamination invaded the cables themselves.  The ones with the ‘golden anodizing’ (see picture with black goo in the center) were the worst. Symptoms are loss of signal and or not responding to switching directions at the shack controller.  Overall I am very happy with the electrical performance of the SAL-30 and no longer use any beverages.  I operate a remote station, so nothing is disconnected or grounded even when storms approach.

73 John N5CQ

Hi John,

Pete, WB4YDY

wa5puq

Pete,

My run is about 200’. I found a septic system installer and they have a little one man ‘ditch witch’ machine that is designed to dig shallow trenches all day. I marked the route with spray paint and they did the trench in about 3 hours for $300. Well worth it.

73 John N5CQ

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 4:11 PM

John,
Thanks very much for your time and information. All you say makes sense and I'm beginning to get my mind around this now. After receiving your last post I have done some internet searching for F-connector grounding blocks and A/B F-connector manual switches. I have found a number of choices for both items that may work for my installation.

Now, I just have to figure out the easiest and least expensive way to dig the 165' x 1' deep trench. I did a 75 foot long trench for a remotely tuned horizontal loop by hand a few years ago. Don't think I will try that this time :-)

Pete, WB4YDY

73 John N5CQ

Hi John,

Pete, WB4YDY

wb4ydy2

That's another excellent idea! I would be happy with that, for sure.

Thanks again,
Pete, WB4YDY

On 1/4/2021 4:29 PM, wa5puq wrote:

Pete,

My run is about 200’. I found a septic system installer and they have a little one man ‘ditch witch’ machine that is designed to dig shallow trenches all day. I marked the route with spray paint and they did the trench in about 3 hours for $300. Well worth it.

73 John N5CQ

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 4:11 PM

John,

Pete, WB4YDY

73 John N5CQ

Hi John,

Pete, WB4YDY

wa2tp <wa2tp@...>

The only disadvantage to the  F connector block is that it isn’t truly  providing full protection since there isn’t a path to ground from the center conductor of the coax: only the shield is being drained.

Even when in  use you could develop static build up and this could path to your receiver since there is no bleed.

That is why I mentioned the Alpha delta units which pass dc and also provide path to ground from the center conductor for static charge and transient voltage dissipation.

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 3:22 PM

73 John N5CQ

Hi John,

Pete, WB4YDY

wa2tp <wa2tp@...>

Additionally, there are polyphaser units which will also pass dc, and provide full protection but I have not personally used them.

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 5:35 PM

The only disadvantage to the  F connector block is that it isn’t truly  providing full protection since there isn’t a path to ground from the center conductor of the coax: only the shield is being drained.

Even when in  use you could develop static build up and this could path to your receiver since there is no bleed.

That is why I mentioned the Alpha delta units which pass dc and also provide path to ground from the center conductor for static charge and transient voltage dissipation.

73 John N5CQ

Hi John,

Pete, WB4YDY

wb4ydy2

Hi Tom,

I understand. John's idea was to ground the shield before going under ground for the 165 ft run, then using a lightning surge protector before the RG6 goes into the shack. I guess I could use a protector at both ends, but I like this idea. I also plan to switch the coax to ground before it goes to the controller when not in use.

Thanks,
Pete, WB4YDY

On 1/4/2021 4:35 PM, wa2tp wrote:

73 John N5CQ

Hi John,

Pete, WB4YDY

wa2tp <wa2tp@...>

RRR. Missed that message in the chain.

Tom

WA2TP

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 5:41 PM

Hi Tom,

I understand. John's idea was to ground the shield before going under ground for the 165 ft run, then using a lightning surge protector before the RG6 goes into the shack. I guess I could use a protector at both ends, but I like this idea. I also plan to switch the coax to ground before it goes to the controller when not in use.

Thanks,
Pete, WB4YDY

On 1/4/2021 4:35 PM, wa2tp wrote:

73 John N5CQ

Hi John,

Pete, WB4YDY

Jay

Hi guys,
The SAL has 16V transorbs on the input of the combiner/preamp as well as on the control switch.  They usually will do the job for the small amount of EMP surge you might get from the loops. 
But here is a bunch of active circuitry before the RG-6 home run that can still be damaged since the loops are on the "other" side of the preamp circuitry.  We have some sparc gaps on the board and I think there is a 16V zener in front of the magic T combiner before the preamp.
So I am not sure what a RG6 arrestor will accomplish in the home run line.   We have really not seen lightning damage to the control switch.   As it is pretty well downline from the active circuits.    If you are afraid of blowing out the front end of your Rig RX antenna port, then use one of our AS-FEP front end protectors in the 50 ohm RCA output to the radio.  That makes more sense to me.

And it is true, if you are going to put in a RG-6 arrestor it must not be DC blocked and it should not have a static bleed inductor to ground.  As that would short out the DC  and Data we send over the coax.
I like the idea of a ferrite choke at the combiner and or using a grounding block and ground rod to suppress noise and AM BC signals on the shield of the coax for RF interference purposes.

Hope that helps
Jay, WX0B

Jay Terleski
Array Solutions
214 954 7140

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 4:38 PM wa2tp <wa2tp@...> wrote:

Additionally, there are polyphaser units which will also pass dc, and provide full protection but I have not personally used them.

I use a copper entrance panel and everything is bonded to it. The protector is mounted to the panel just inside the feed through hole.  The “TV class” F connectors from Home Depot etc. have corroded frequently, even when wrapped  The DXE ‘watertight F connectors” have worked fine.  I tried several ‘ham fest’ unbranded F grounding blocks and discarded the ones that corroded, hopefully before the contamination invaded the cables themselves.  The ones with the ‘golden anodizing’ (see picture with black goo in the center) were the worst. Symptoms are loss of signal and or not responding to switching directions at the shack controller.  Overall I am very happy with the electrical performance of the SAL-30 and no longer use any beverages.  I operate a remote station, so nothing is disconnected or grounded even when storms approach.

73 John N5CQ

Hi John,

Pete, WB4YDY

wb4ydy2

Hi Jay,

Thanks for jumping in here with the additional info and thoughts. I see the AS-RXFEP front end protector on your website. This device has SO-239 connectors on both ends. It would require adapters on both ends to go from SO-239 to RCA phono jacks. Is this the item you mentioned?

I will certainly defer to you and the others on the electrical theory. But, if any electrical surge from nearby lightning did come in on the RG6 to the control box, wouldn't it have a path to ground through the power cable and 110 volt house circuit?

Thanks,
Pete, WB4YDY

On 1/5/2021 4:29 PM, Jay wrote:
Hi guys,
The SAL has 16V transorbs on the input of the combiner/preamp as well as on the control switch.  They usually will do the job for the small amount of EMP surge you might get from the loops. 
But here is a bunch of active circuitry before the RG-6 home run that can still be damaged since the loops are on the "other" side of the preamp circuitry.  We have some sparc gaps on the board and I think there is a 16V zener in front of the magic T combiner before the preamp.
So I am not sure what a RG6 arrestor will accomplish in the home run line.   We have really not seen lightning damage to the control switch.   As it is pretty well downline from the active circuits.    If you are afraid of blowing out the front end of your Rig RX antenna port, then use one of our AS-FEP front end protectors in the 50 ohm RCA output to the radio.  That makes more sense to me.

And it is true, if you are going to put in a RG-6 arrestor it must not be DC blocked and it should not have a static bleed inductor to ground.  As that would short out the DC  and Data we send over the coax.
I like the idea of a ferrite choke at the combiner and or using a grounding block and ground rod to suppress noise and AM BC signals on the shield of the coax for RF interference purposes.

Hope that helps
Jay, WX0B

Jay Terleski
Array Solutions
214 954 7140

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 4:38 PM wa2tp <wa2tp@...> wrote:

I use a copper entrance panel and everything is bonded to it. The protector is mounted to the panel just inside the feed through hole.  The “TV class” F connectors from Home Depot etc. have corroded frequently, even when wrapped  The DXE ‘watertight F connectors” have worked fine.  I tried several ‘ham fest’ unbranded F grounding blocks and discarded the ones that corroded, hopefully before the contamination invaded the cables themselves.  The ones with the ‘golden anodizing’ (see picture with black goo in the center) were the worst. Symptoms are loss of signal and or not responding to switching directions at the shack controller.  Overall I am very happy with the electrical performance of the SAL-30 and no longer use any beverages.  I operate a remote station, so nothing is disconnected or grounded even when storms approach.

73 John N5CQ

Hi John,

Pete, WB4YDY