Lightning Protection for the SAL

wb4ydy2

Hello all, I am new to the group and considering a SAL-20. I've built and installed a lot of antennas in almost 50 years as a ham, but never a true RX only antenna. All of my antennas currently run through grounded ICE protectors before entering the house/shack, and then through manual antenna switches inside the shack to various rigs or to ground.

The SAL manual clearly states to NOT insert any device in the RG6 between the combiner and the controller. I imagine this is due to the control voltage sent via the coax. I don't see any mention in the manual of how to best deal with lightning protection with this antenna. How is this done other than disconnecting the coax in the shack? Can the SAL-20 RG6 be run through a manual switch to ground when not in use?

Thanks & 73,
Pete, WB4YDY

wa2tp <wa2tp@...>

Presumably you would need to use a device that passes dc, like the alpha delta TT3G50.
I use this on a wellbrook active loop which use bias-t to power the amplifier at the loop.

Up until December of last year I was using the ICE arrestors on my other antennas.
I had noticed that through the arrestor my return loss on my inverter L dropped by roughly 12db compared to when  the arrestor was bypassed.
I swept the arrestor from 10khz-3.8 MHz and was very surprised at the loss all the up to 1.820Mhz.

I have been using the inverted L for WSPR rx since June of late year. Was never able to decode much on 630, and never any decodes on 2200. Once I removed the arrestors I decode on both bands consistently.

My spots count has me ranked at #1or #2 in the US And generally top 10 in the world.

73’
De WA2TP
Tom

Tom