Painting or Powder Coating the SAL Mast

RIchard Thorne

Has anyone painted or powder coated the SAL mast. That would help it blend in where I plan to install it.

Rich - N5ZC

Roger Stein

Hi Rich,
I used the Krylon camouflage colours on my aluminum mast. After wiping the aluminum down wipe some brake clean (outdoors!) I applied a coat of primer then the dark brown colour. I then followed with a random pattern of the other camouflage colours. My SAL-20 is in the trees behind the house in a partial clearing so the loops are 80% in the clear in the summer, 100% in the winter once the leaves fall. The mast pretty much blends in and you have to know where to look to see it.
Have fun!
73, Roger VA1RST Halifax NS

On Sep 13, 2020, at 10:15 PM, RIchard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net> wrote:

Has anyone painted or powder coated the SAL mast. That would help it blend in where I plan to install it.

Rich - N5ZC

Bob Elek

My SAL30 mast is untouched from when it went in, about 5 yrs ago.  But I use the same type fiberglas and or aluminum mil surplus mast sections on numerous antennas.  A  can of dark green paint for  metal/fiberglas from Home Depot works just fine. When the fiberglas starts    splintering into my hands I give them a coat. :)