From: "Mike"
To: sharedapexloop@groups.io
Sent: Monday August 31 2020 1:10:36PM
Subject: [sharedapexloop] Sal-30 Problem

Hi,
I have a Sal-30 that the wind blew over a couple of months ago. It was working great before it fell down. Now, while I was testing it on 80 meters, It drops the noise level down by 3 s units when switched in. But that is all it does. There is no directionality differences as I go through all positions- flipping makes no difference. Nothing has an effect on the received signal.  An S9 +20 signal on my inverted V goes down to about an S3 on the Sal-30.

I have verified that 13.4 V makes it through the choke in the preamp. I have cleaned all cable ends from the transformers and made sure they were seated well in the connectors. I have verified that the internal LEDs correspond with the direction settings.

Are there any further tests that I can perform? Does anyone have any ideas of what may be going on.
Thanks,
Mike, k6zsr

Jay

Also check the couplers and the couper wires are good and solid.  They need to make good contact in the terminal strip as well.  So make sure that they did not pull out  or get broken in the fall.

Jay Terleski
Array Solutions
214 954 7140

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 1:09 PM Bob Elek <w3hkk@...> wrote:
If no lightning damage to the   electronics, and  all the other  wiring is good,  Id check the RG6   from the house to the antenna by by replacing it with a new run.

Good luck.

[...]

Mike

Thanks Bob: I measured the resistance at end of the cable at the antenna end and the resistance was 14 ohms which was consistent with the 300 foot run. No lightening strikes.
Mike

--
.... he not busy being born is busy dying" Bob Dylan

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's,
his hair was perfect" Warren Zevon

Mike

Thanks Jay, all coupler wires were taken off the terminal strip and cleaned and were reinserted and seated well. After the fall, both of the coupling wires from one of the transformers broke off. I re-soldered them. That was the only damage sustained.

On 8/31/2020 11:36 AM, Jay wrote:
[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

If the LEDS are switching properly, I would double check all of
the loop connections. Make sure that each of the loops are
connected to the proper terminals and that none of the feedlines
have been reversed.

If any of the feedlines were stressed when the loops came down,
make sure the couplers have not been damaged (sleeves cracked,
feedlines disconnected, etc.).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-08-31 1:09 PM, Mike wrote:
Hi,
[...]
_._,_._,_

Mike

Ok, Joe, I will check those items.
thanks, Mike

On 2020-08-31 1:09 PM, Mike wrote:
Hi,
[...]

wa5puq

The other point of failure I have experienced is the connections at the loop couplers. See pg 9 of the manual at http://dxsupply.com/produktfiler/AS-SAL-Manual_R1.10.pdf

The connection between the feedlines and the pigtails coming out the couplers sometimes break under the tape. My antenna is mounted on posts above ground so I have to get out the ladder to check them. An open connection on one of these might account for what you are observing.

73 John N5CQ

On 2020-08-31 1:09 PM, Mike wrote:
Hi,
[...]

Bill, K2PO

'seems if it was a problem with a coupler, or a connection to a loop, then performance in one set of directions would be impaired.  But the perpendicular direction should work fine.

Maybe try disconnecting all loops but one, and then trying controller to confirm that you get signal in some directions (where that loop is in the circuit) and you don't get signal in other directions.

If signals are the same in all directions, with a single loop connected, then your problem probably doesn't lie with the loops nor their connections...

/Bill, K2PO

Mike

Bill, I am going to try that. I will report back with findings.
Mike, k6zsr

On 9/1/2020 7:42 AM, Bill, K2PO wrote:
'seems if it was a problem with a coupler, or a connection to a loop, then performance in one set of directions would be impaired.  But the perpendicular direction should work fine.

Maybe try disconnecting all loops but one, and then trying controller to confirm that you get signal in some directions (where that loop is in the circuit) and you don't get signal in other directions.

If signals are the same in all directions, with a single loop connected, then your problem probably doesn't lie with the loops nor their connections...

/Bill, K2PO

--
.... he not busy being born is busy dying" Bob Dylan

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's,
his hair was perfect" Warren Zevon

Bill, K2PO

Mike - did you find an answer to your puzzle?

Bill, K2PO

Mike

Hi Bill,
See attached photo. Another big wind storm toppled it again !...I am having a streak of bad luck with this antenna. I am now waiting for someone to help me put it back up.

   Mike, k6zwr

On 11/19/2020 6:36 AM, Bill, K2PO wrote:
Mike - did you find an answer to your puzzle?

Bill, K2PO

--
.... he not busy being born is busy dying" Bob Dylan

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's,
his hair was perfect" Warren Zevon

Jay

I used steel fence T posts on my SAL30 and we get big winds off of the lake we live on.  The T posts are about 8 feet from the corners of the loops.  Been up for years.
Jay

Jay Terleski
Array Solutions
214 954 7140

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 2:23 PM Mike <mike@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,
See attached photo. Another big wind storm toppled it again !...I am having a streak of bad luck with this antenna. I am now waiting for someone to help me put it back up.

   Mike, k6zwr

On 11/19/2020 6:36 AM, Bill, K2PO wrote:
Mike - did you find an answer to your puzzle?

Bill, K2PO

--
.... he not busy being born is busy dying" Bob Dylan

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's,
his hair was perfect" Warren Zevon

Mike

Great idea Jay. I am going to use those when I put it back up.
Thanks,
Mike, k6zsr